Commissioned by Swansea industrialist and MP Lewis Llewellyn Dillwyn, Hendrefoilan House was built in 1855 at a cost of £14,000 on the site of a medieval farmhouse of the same name.
When he died, his talented novelist daughter Amy – who became a philanthropist and one of the world’s first female industrialists – was not allowed to inherit.
Instead the house went to his nephew and then on to a series of private owners.
The house was sold first to the Picton-Turbervilles, then to Sir John Bryn Edwards of the Dyffryn Tinplate works in Morriston in 1920.
His widow lived there until 1964, when the house was sold to the University where it was used among other things for male student accommodation.
Among the many original features in Hendrefoilan House are fine stained glass windows which commemorate the Dillwyn and De la Beche families , created after LL Dillwyn married the daughter of geologist Henry De la Beche.
The nearby stables were successfully renovated by the University College of Swansea to house the South Wales Miners’ Library.
It has been owned by Swansea University since the 1960s, used for accommodation and teaching, and latterly for nothing at all.
Information from the Victorian Society Website 20.7.13